Thursday, February 12, 2009

Big Cooking


I've been cooking since I got home from Mah Jongg at 5PM

First I made Chicken Pot Pie (from scratch...not the frozen Swanson kind!)

I did make the crust at lunch time and had it rolled out and in the shell...so I had a head start.

I sauteed onion, baby bella mushrooms in butter. Simmered carrots and celery in
rich stock (1 1/2 cups) from the roast chicken from last night. Added 1/4 c. flour to the saute in the skillet to make a roux. Added the simmered broth and vegetables. Then put in 1 c. of frozen peas and seasoned with salt and pepper. Cooked until pretty thick. Added about 1/2 c. half and half. Poured into the pie crust. Just laid the top piece on...didn't crimp the edges. (My top wasn't quite big enough.) Baked 50 minutes at 400 degrees.

Yummmm....

While that was baking I made a huge pot of turkey chili for dinner tomorrow night. We have an evening Mah Jongg game here and this was we can start early and eat here!

Then I soaked the raisins for what's touted as the Best Oatmeal Cookie recipe. I've had a real hankering for oatmeal cookies...and I've not been satisfied with the ones I make. We'll see.
These will accompany ice cream tomorrow night!

Now I won't want to cook for days!

No comments: