Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cake!

Wouldn't you think I'd made enough butter cakes to know that you add the sugar to the creamed butter FIRST, then add the eggs one at a time...I don't know what I was thinking!
Anyway, the eggs went in first...then the sugar. We'll see if it affects the finished product tomorrow after church during coffee hour. The raw batter tasted great!

I looked all over the internet for the recipe...so I wouldn't have to type it all in here. I can usually find every recipe that way. But not this one and it's one of my favorites. So here goes. Copy this down Sarah. You'll want to make it someday when you get tired of my Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake! (This link is the exact recipe I've been making since I was in high school)

Poppy Seed Cake
2/3 cup poppy seeds (don't buy them in the little jar..get a bag full at the health food store)
1/2 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups cake flour ( I use 2 c. plus 2 T. all purpose)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks butter)
2 cups sugar (divided)
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

1. Put poppy seeds and boiling water in blender and blend 1 1/2 min. Cool.

Make a meringue with egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
(I do this first so I don't have to clean the beaters....just use them in the butter

Sift together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.

Beat butter with 1 3/4 cups sugar. Add yolks 1 at a time. Beat well.

At low speed blend in poppy seed mixture and vanilla. Add flour alternately with buttermilk. (starting and ending with flour. Then fold in meringue.

Pour into a 13 x 9 inch greased and floured baking pan. Bake 30 - 40 minutes.

I frost this right in the pan with a really good butter cream. Read that...lots of butter with 10X sugar.

Yummmm this is one of my favorite cakes. Right now I have 4 favorites:

Brazil Nut Cake (I couldn't find this one either....every one I found had dates in it....and mine doesn't) and Carrot Cake...in addition to the 2 above. I need a new cake....but I'm fussy.
Any suggestions?

No comments: