Saturday, January 17, 2009

testing recipes part 2

After my soap testing earlier today, I decided to test a recipe from Martha Stewart Living
In the Feb. 2009 issue: Champvallone

As Martha says: Lamb + Potato Gratin = Champvallone


I used my mandoline to slice about 3 russet potatoes. Potatoes are tossed with a bit of olive oil.

Lamb cubes (from a pastured lamb steak I had in the freezer) browned in olive oil with onions, garlic and rosemary. Then simmered with some chicken stock. 1/2 of the potatoes layered in the bottom of the dish. Then topped with simmered lamb, then remaining potatoes. Into a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour and:

Voila!

It was crusty, savory and delicious!

FYI: when i googled Champvallone all of the recipes called for using browned rib lamb chops instead of the cubed lamb. I think this was easier to make and serve.

No comments: