Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Make the chicken. You'll love it!

I've been a delinquent blogger. Trying to make a ton of soap prepare for holiday orders.
Also getting ready for a trip that will take me away from soap for almost 3 weeks....longer than I've ever left Saipua! More about that later.

But, tonight I had the time to make the recipe that follows. I wish I had a photo for you...but it was so delicious that it's all gone! Trust me, if you like spicy food....you'll love this.
I order it in Italian restaurants when I see it there. This is the first time I've made it. I found recipes with out the potatoes...I think they're critical. I didn't use the flour....thought it didn't need to be thickened. Some places make it with chicken breast...or cutlets. Don't.
You can make it ahead and reheat. That works really well....


Chicken Scarpariello

• 2-3 T. olive oil
• 1 ½ - 2 lbs chicken, cut into small serving pieces
o (I used thighs, cut in half with the skin removed. On the bone is important! )
• 1 lb Italian sausage, links (sweet or hot or both)
• 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
• 2 garlic cloves, minced and crushed
• 6 hot cherry peppers, sliced (bottled in vinegar)
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
• 1 cup chicken broth (canned or fresh)
• 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
• 2 or 3 potatoes, peeled and diced small
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour


Directions
1. In a skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and sausage in batches; brown on all sides. removing pieces to a plate as they brown. Cut sausage into slices after it is cooked.

2. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan. To hot drippings, red bell peppers, sliced cherry peppers, onion, potatoes, and garlic; saute until tender.

3. Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add salt, black pepper, the rosemary , the broth, and the wine. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.

4. Remove chicken and sausage from skillet; arrange on warm serving platter.

5. Skim fat from mixture in skillet.

6. In a small glass measure, mix flour with 1/4 cup water until blended. Stir into liquid in skillet. bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute, stirring, until mixture thickens.

No comments: