Friday, September 19, 2008

is it more than I need to know?

yesterday I had some time to read through the newest issue of the New Yorker that Sarah has subscribed me to....and I discovered 23andme.....yep, that's the 23 pairs of chromosomes that determine everything about us.

For just $399 you can spit in a tube and have your DNA analyzed and find out if you're a candidate for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) or heart attack and about 90 other conditions....including whether you have the ability to smell asparagus in your urine! And I thought everyone could do that!! Until I discussed it with dinner guests last night and they didn't know what I was talking about.....either they don't eat asparagus.....or they don't have the gene!

I'm so tempted.....because I often have this overwhelming need to know.....but then again maybe it is just too much information. Although the ancestry part sounds pretty interesting.

Unless some family member wants to bestow a very special gift on someone who's about to turn 60!

No comments: