Friday, August 8, 2008

More about pies..


So here's what I did. I always make 'fool proof pie crust' from my Aunt Hazel's recipe. Have used it for years. It's basically flour, shortening, salt, a bit of sugar, 1 egg, vinegar and water. It always makes a flakey crust for me and rolls like a dream.

But I keep reading about butter in the crust. It seems butter has better flavor, but the shortening makes it flakier. So I adapted my fool proof recipe as below. I also only made a half batch...hence the 1/2 egg. The full recipe makes enough for 2 double crust pies..and then some.

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup pastry flour
scant tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
Mix above and cut in:
7 tbsp. shortening
6 tbsp. butter

I used a pastry blender for this. I know many use a food processor...but I think maybe the pastry blender makes the little layers of fat and flour come out better.

Mix:
1/2 egg
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/4 c. ice water

Pour over cut in mixture. Stir with fork until it comes together nicely. Refrigerate 15 minutes before rolling. It rolled out beautifully and I put the large circle on parchment to make the 'free form' pie. There was quite a bit of juice in the peaches. I mixed flour with brown sugar and then tossed in the peach slices....they released their juices right away. When I put the filling on the crust, I kept the juices back...then folded the crust over. I then poured the remaining syrup into the hole in the top of the pie. This was probably my undoing...but I couldn't waste it. When the pie baked it leaked all out onto the parchment. Thank goodness for the parchment. I served it by cutting away the burned parchment and sliding it onto a cake plate.


It was quite yummy with vanilla ice cream - a must for peach pie! Sorry I don't have a full photo. This is what's left. I guess I'll take it to Brooklyn today for the Saipua kids. Get your forks ready Sarah and Eric....

And BTW...the butter in the pastry worked out great.

2 comments:

17 beats. said...

i do a mix of butter and shortening as well. all of the flava, all of the flake. (that should be a slogan!)

Vickie said...

Your recipe is very much like mine. I always get raves about the crust. My son was living in Korea for a couple of years as a missionary. His Korean companion wanted to know how to make American Apple Pie. They don't have shortening in Korea so my son made the apple pie with all butter. He said it turned out just like mine and tasted wonderful. His companion was very impressed.