Sunday, August 31, 2008

Stirring up something besides soap!

A beautiful Sunday morning! Lovely and cool on our screened porch. Crows are a bit angry and noisy about something.

Yesterday I finally had enough of my garden tomatoes to make salsa. finding a recipe was a challenge! There are so many rules about canning!!

Finally adapted the Chile Salsa recipe from the above link by adding an extra cup of onions and reducing the chopped chiles to 3 cups. I know you're not supposed to change the vegetable amounts...but I know they mean NOT to use more veggies....in proportion to the acidic tomatoes.....I used less. Still used 1 c. of vinegar to keep the acid high for safety. Oops...I also addes 5 cloves of garlic and 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin.

The results were spicy and good. I used jalapeno peppers and long green chiles.


So...this morning we had scrambled eggs and leftover cheese grits with salsa. On the porch.
Soon we'll have to start eating inside....but until that day, we'll enjoy al fresco!

1 comment:

Big Sister said...

Susan! Thank you for commenting on 1000soaps. I'll admit, I did not realize you were THE Susan - I've admired Saipua for as long as I have been making soap. I believe I already sent you an email to your address via saipua.com, but I would love to have the honor of meeting you and talking soap.

And thank you for reading! Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are being posted soon...