Sunday, August 10, 2008

Roasted Tomatoes...new for me.

Okay, so I've never roasted tomatoes. It's never too late, is it?

I had these great plum tomatoes, both yellow and red from my local farm market. No, mine are STILL not ready, yet.

And I wanted to make my favorite pasta with tomato and mozzarella. I got great fresh mozzarella from the farm market on Saturday.

So here it is:


I cut the tomatoes in half and drizzled them with garlic olive oil. This is the oil I make by baking garlic scapes in 2 quarts of olive oil for 1 hour and then straining and jarring up for the summer. (I keep it refrigerated) I added fresh ground pepper and salt. I roasted on a baking sheet for about 1 hour at 325 degrees. Then added some minced garlic on top and roasted another 30 min. Then they looked like this:















I cut the tomatoes in chunks being sure to capture all of the juices. Cubed the mozzarella and sliced some fresh basil.














I cooked penne pasta (I use brown rice pasta)and tossed it all together.
Yum.......that and a bottle of cabernet savignon and we had a lovely dinner!

2 comments:

Sarah Ryhanen said...

these tomato photos are really spectacular -- using dad's camera?

Sarah Ryhanen said...

these tomato photos are really spectacular -- using dad's camera?